There’s only one thing better than International wine day – which, like Woman’s day should happen every day of the year- and that’s Internationale Coffee Day…which happens to be today. 29 September.
To celebrate this delightful beverage, which is responsible for 50% of my personality on a daily basis, I thought I would share some fun coffee facts with you. So, grab a cuppa, sit down and enjoy.
Whoever made this sign is a liar. Where is Vodka and wine?
1. Never trust anyone who doesn’t drink coffee. They probably kick small puppies and have severe road rage.
2. According to this legend, Coffee was first discovered by goats – after a farmer noticed his flock eating certain berries and battling to sleep at night – the farmer then gave the berries to an Abbot at the local Monastery who made a drink out of the beans, and found he became a lot more diligent in his after hour prayers…
3. Need a caffeine boost? Opt for a regular filter coffee over an espresso – it has more caffeine in it.
4. In terms of countries with the biggest caffeine addiction – Finland comes out tops with an average of 12 litres per person per year (granted, its fucking cold) with Peurto Rico coming in last with an average consumption per person of 0.4 kilos of coffee. They must be too busy kidnapping drug mules to stop for a cuppa java.
5. If blooms are your thing, you will be pleased to know that coffee grounds can actively change the colour of Hyrangea flowers from pink to blue, as the coffee changes the alkalinity in the soil. Adding coffee grounds will reduce the pH level and give you bright blue flowers.
6. Coffee beans don’t start out that way. They start out as red berry looking things. The magic of coffee is in how its made. Thanks to the Internet for giving me this:
7. Medical research has deduced that coffee can help you live longer. My research has confirmed that it also extends the lifespan of a spouse…if they bring you coffee in bed, there is guaranteed to be less blood.
8. You can tell a lot about a person by the type of coffee they drink;
- Espresso – Impatient. Will often exclaim how awake they are after downing said espresso. Will also sometimes call it an expresso.
- Cappucino – A freelancer who works in a coffee shop. Enjoys licking milk froth off a spoon
- Americano – A classic coffee drinker. No bullshit.
- Decaf – Pregnant or lives in Minnesota.
- Latte – Hates the taste of coffee, pretends to enjoy coffee by making sure their drink is 98% milk.
- Riccoffy – A Dumbass.
9. Coffee beans are to the nose, what a sorbet palate cleanser is to your mouth. If you are ever testing a fragrance take a whiff of fresh coffee beans between sprays – it will clear your nose and allow your senses to settle between spritzes.
10. If you only drink coffee for one reason, make it because of this: